Sunday, August 10, 2014

Learning and Research - Anywhere, Any time

I can't believe that I am updating my blog on a train. Technology has made it so easy, that we can be anywhere and access information at any time. In this day in age, learning really can take place anywhere, any time.

Just today, I decided to do some reading for Assignment #4, which requires me to critically analyze scientific journals. I pulled out my phone and clicked on the PDF file that I emailed myself, and started reading. I am able to email myself notes and findings while I was reading to work on later. Then it hit me - I can literally find any open window of time to learn something new.

What really boggles my mind is that, this is definitely not the first e-learning course I have encountered. I've taken various distance education courses during my undergraduate studies, as well as completing a 100% online program in project management. However, never have pulling out my smartphone to do my homework ever crossed my mind!

I think it is safe to say that the days of studying with a textbook on your lap while taking the bus to school is well behind us. With my smartphone and a data plan, I can post on class forums, participate in discussions, chat with  distant classmates, and update and edit papers we collaborated as a group, and send SOS emails to my instructor when I am in need. This experience has been such a revelation to me, as it truly provide freedom in learning. Surely if services like dating, banking, or just making dinner reservations have become the norm, learning using mobile apps should be, at the very least, a business proposal to universities and colleges in order to promote continue education for all ages. Social media like Twitter and Facebook have been so successful at keeping people engaged across the globe, online education platforms could surely investigate similar models in connecting students and teachers together.

As students change their studying behaviour, researchers could perhaps take the same approach in conducting research, especially in qualitative and quantitative analysis. It's interesting to see that many research courses at post-secondary institutions encourage students to conduct research in the form on online surveys. One of the most obvious benefits is the ability to reach a large population. Students just set up a series of questions, and reach out to a large population of people in a very short amount of time. It's also most convenient for volunteers to participate in the survey because of easy access. Also, this defies any geographical restrictions, and research can be globalized more easily. The mobile environment to me truly opens an exciting chapter, and can revolutionize how research is conducted!

For today, as I continue my research for my assignment, all I have to worry about, is getting on the right train while I do my homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment